.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Indian actor Prakash Raj


The celebrations haven’t stopped for Prakash Raj ever since he won the National Award for best actor a couple of weeks ago. After he was honoured by the Karnataka Film Chamber, the actor attended a party thrown for him by close friends Suhasini and Mani Ratnam at their Chennai home. Then he was off to Mumbai for the success bash of Wanted: Dead & Alive. “It was sweet of Suhasini to host a do for me. She even invited previous National Award winners; there was soft music in the background and everyone had a great time. In Mumbai, Salmanbhai and all of us also had a good time,” says Prakash.

But now, it’s back to work as the actor readies himself for his debut Kannada directorial Naanu Nanna Kanasu, the remake of Abhiyum Naanun, which he produced in Tamil. But he finds it strange that his remaking the film led to a huge debate. “If I’m thrusting another culture down your throat, I understand if people have a problem. But I’m not being insensitive to Kannada culture. I’m making sensible cinema and am not copying somebody else because I have no ideas,” asserts the actor. “If an idea inspires me, I go ahead. Abhiyum Naanum is a story close to my heart and I felt like sharing it with the Kannada audience,” he adds.

The four-time National Award-winning actor was last seen in Puneet Rajkumar’s Ajay four years ago. What took him so long to come back? “A home is a home and I don’t think you can mark a time to return. Today, I’m doing a Kannada film, tomorrow it’s Telugu and Tamil. I may even direct a Hindi film another day. It’s all part of the journey called cinema,” he reasons.

The actor has seen the Kannada industry in its heyday when he did films like Nagamandala. What is his take on the sorry state of the industry today? “Every industry goes through a low phase — even the Tamil, Telugu and Hindi industries. It’s a cycle and nobody is invincible,” says Prakash.

And playing the role of his daughter essayed by Trisha in the original is Ramya. The actress was embroiled in a controversy recently. Is he apprehensive about casting her? “I don’t know what problems the individuals or the unit faced. Ramya was excited about the film and she’s even been doing the homework I’ve given her. She’s a really sweet girl. When I met her recently, I was teasing her about her popularity. I’m not playing judge here,” he says.